Signs of a Pigeon Infestation
It is normal to see a pigeon near your property. But too many pigeons can quickly become a more serious problem. If pigeons have started using your property for nesting or roosting, the risks are too great to leave pigeons alone.
The birds can spread a number of different diseases, including salmonella, bird flu, and histoplasmosis, as well as leave acidic droppings that can eat away at surfaces. This makes it important to distinguish whether the pigeons you see around your property have just landed there for a moment or if they are living somewhere nearby, which can necessitate pigeon removal in NYC.
How to Tell If Pigeons are Nesting and Roosting Nearby
Pigeons are everywhere in NYC. But it can be difficult to tell if they’re roosting nearby. Pay attention for certain signs that will become more obvious as the number of pigeons grow and if you are paying careful attention. These signs include:
- Increase in the Number of Birds – You know your property well and, while the number of pigeons may change depending on the season or other environmental factors, if you start to notice a significant increase in pigeons at your home or business, you will want to make sure none are nesting there.
- Concentrated Droppings – Where pigeons are nesting or roosting, there will often be a large buildup of droppings on the ground and walls beneath. If you notice these signs, consider hiring a pigeon control company in NYC to remove the birds and clean up hazardous droppings.
- Collecting Debris – Like droppings, various debris from nesting will often collect where pigeons are living. This can include sticks, twigs, feathers, leaves, and occasionally dead birds.
- Noise Increases – The coo of pigeons will be noticeably louder as multiple birds collect the area, especially if there are baby birds present. This could be a sign that pigeons are nesting.
- Property Damage – Property damage around your roof, siding, or other areas, including cracks or holes can be the result of birds or other wildlife. Regardless of the cause, you should work with a wildlife removal company to exclude any animals and correct the damage.
Because having a pigeon infestation at a residential commercial property comes with several risks, it is important to have pigeons removed and any remaining droppings and debris cleaned as quickly as possible. Animal Control NYC has comprehensive solutions that work against pigeons whether they are merely a nuisance around your property or seem to be permanently nesting in the area. Call our team to learn how pigeon control can help you.